Sunday, 22 September 2013

A Learning Week

It been like a week and a half since I got here in Gwanju, Poonghyang. It's been a learning week. I shared with my family a sacred experience I had last week. This work is surreal. Miracles are real.

I'll just share with you all a learning experience I had last night.
We were walking to visit a less-active. We were walking past this lady who was exercising at a park. Sister Boone, my companion was prompted to talk to her. She was asking us what the Book of Mormon is and we were really excited to teach her about our message. However, it ended up that she wanted to teach us. When she tried to teach us about the Bible and all that she knows in the Bible, I was like not listening. I just kind of sighed and prayed that she would listen to OUR message. We shared with her scriptures from the Book of Mormon, what the Book of Mormon is, who Joseph Smith is and bore our testimonies. However, I felt that she wasn't really listening to anything we were teaching her. At the end of it she accepted the Book of Mormon which is fantastic but admitted she is not interested. Although I did feel the Spirit as I testified to her but I didn't feel the Spirit too strongly during our 30 min discussion with her.

Afterwards when we were walking home, I asked Sister Boone how I could have done better (she is my trainer). She said when the person is not listening, we need to look back on ourselves. Are we listening to her? As I thought about that I realised I wasn't listening to her. I just selfishly focused on what I want to teach her. I realised I didn't teach her this special message in the way the Saviour would do. If He was teaching her He would listen to her whatever she talks about. He would teach this message in the most loving way possible. I learnt this important lesson last night. I would feel so bad if this was the only chance for her to accept this message because I wasn't being a very good missionary but I know it won't be, Christ is so merciful and will give her more chances.

The message we share is simple. I know now that as a missionary it is most important to let others FEEL the Spirit. Teaching them the most amount of doctrines and proving them wrong is not our purpose. Our purpose is to help others remember the things they knew in the pre-mortal life (the life we lived with God before we were born on this Earth).
"For my soul delighteth in plainess; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding."
-2 Nephi 31:3, Book of Mormon-

I love being a missionary. Every returned missionary talked about how mission is so great but so hard at the same time. To be honest, I haven't found it too hard yet. I have a fantastic trainer. I'm slowly learning to see people the way Christ would see them. I'm slowly learning how to be more and more like Him.

My companion and are working towards being 100% obedient to the mission rules. Even with small things we are trying to be obedient. We wanna see more miracles and we are having faith that us being 100% obedient will help us to be part of more miracles. Sister Boone and I have such a matching personality and we find it so easy to get along with each other so we are trying to make the most out of this for the two transfers (6 weeks) we have together.

I love you all and write to me people I wanna know how you are all doing! xx
Sister Sangji Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment